- Governor's newly created Foundation for Health and Wellness encourages people to be more active, eat better and avoid tobacco products
BRENTWOOD, Tenn. (Aug. 29, 2013) —
- Nearly 1,000 people are enrolled in a middle Tennessee program with the YMCA over the course of 2012. Every month program participants are working out, with adults averaging individual weight loss of 6 pounds. Program capacity has been doubled to accommodate interest, driven by the success to date.
- Since 2011, UnitedHealthcare has partnered with Healthy Kids & Teens and Athletic Youth Odyssey Association to prevent and reduce obesity through the encouragement of regular physical activity and nutrition education in Tennessee schools. To date, 9,000 students have enrolled and shed approximately 2,500 lbs.
- UnitedHealth HEROES, a service-learning health-literacy initiative designed to encourage school children to implement local hands-on programs in order to fight childhood obesity, has included an investment of more than $50,000 in Tennessee communities since 2009.
- With more than $110,000 in educational tools and resources, UnitedHealthcare has equipped Eat4-Health Healthy Lifestyle Ambassadors in every county where 4-H is available with educational resources and fitness equipment to show young people that being active can be fun!
- Seven Adopt-A-School grants were awarded in the spring of this year to Tennessee schools to help fund health-related initiatives in schools such as health fairs, educational sessions and walking tracks.
- Sesame Street Food for Thought: Eating Well on a Budget,™ is an ongoing initiative in the state with events and information aimed at helping families with children between ages two and eight make affordable and nutritious food choices.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with 780,000 physicians and other health care professionals and 5,900 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare serves more than 40 million people in health benefits and is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company.